Print this topic

HealthInfo Canterbury

Diagnosing tennis or golfer's elbow

Tennis elbow manIf you start getting pain on the inside or outside of your elbow, stop or cut down on anything that causes the pain. This can stop it getting worse. Lifting, gripping, and twisting movements generally cause pain.

See your GP or a physiotherapist for an accurate diagnosis. Pain in your elbow and forearm may actually come from a problem somewhere else in your body (this is called referred pain), so it's important to find out exactly what's causing it.

Your doctor or physiotherapist can diagnose tennis and golfer's elbow by talking to you and examining your arm.

If you have had a blow to your elbow, such as hitting your elbow against a hard surface, your doctor or physiotherapist may ask for an X-ray. This is to make sure that you don't have an injury like a broken bone. But the X-ray can't diagnose tennis or golfer's elbow, because X-rays don't show tendons.


On the next page: Treating tennis & golfer's elbow

Written by HealthInfo clinical advisers. Last reviewed June 2019.


Page reference: 255068

Review key: HISHI-13267